ATSE elects 2014 Fellows
The Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE) has elected 25 new Fellows for 2014.
The academy is an independent body of 800 eminent scientists and engineers seeking to enhance Australia’s prosperity through technological innovation. Its 2014 Fellows include key business names, academics, commercial innovators and public sector figures, perhaps the most prominent of which is Australia’s Chief Scientist, Professor Ian Chubb AC FTSE.
AusBiotech CEO Dr Anna Lavelle FTSE was one of eight women elected to the Fellowship. Dr Lavelle joins existing Fellows and AusBiotech colleagues Dr Deborah Rathjen, Chair of AusBiotech and CEO of Bionomics, and Dr Meera Verma, former AusBiotech director and founder of Headland Vision.
Dr Rathjen noted, “Dr Lavelle and I have worked closely together since 2007 and I have witnessed her leadership ability on many occasions.” Dr Verma added, “As a former director of AusBiotech I have firsthand experience of working with Dr Lavelle and take great pleasure in welcoming another senior woman to the academy”.
The new Fellows are leaders in a wide array of sectors and specialisations, including agriculture, engineering, aviation, astronomy, marine science, government, vulcanology, sustainable systems, innovation management, water management, biotechnology and medical research. The full list of 2014 Fellows is below:
- Professor Ian Chubb AC FTSE, Chief Scientist of Australia
- Professor James Dale AO FTSE, Director, QUT Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities
- Dr Rosalind Dubs FTSE, Director, Aristocrat Leisure, ANU Enterprise, ASC
- Michael Edwards FTSE, General Manager, Boeing Research and Technology Australia
- Professor Geoffrey Fincher FTSE, Director, ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Cell Walls
- Professor Anne Green FTSE, University of Sydney
- John Gunn FTSE, CEO, Australian Institute of Marine Science
- Professor Mark Hoffman FTSE, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of New South Wales
- Colin Jensen FTSE, CEO, Brisbane City Council
- Dr Andrew Johnson FTSE, Group Executive, CSIRO
- Dr Marlene Kanga AM FTSE, Director, IOmniscient
- Dr Anna Lavelle FTSE, CEO, AusBiotech
- Professor Jocelyn McPhie FTSE, University of Tasmania
- Barry Murphy FTSE, Flinders University Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development
- Scientia Professor Deo Prasad AO FTSE, CEO, Co-operative Research Centre for Low Carbon Living
- Professor Nils Goran Arne Roos FTSE, Chair, SA Advanced Manufacturing Council
- Professor Craig Simmons FTSE, Director, National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
- Dr Lorraine Stephenson FTSE, Founder and Principal Consultant, Lightning Consulting Services
- Professor Jose Luis Torero Cullen FTSE, University of Queensland
- Professor Alan Trounson FTSE, President, California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- Professor Anthony Weiss FTSE, University of Sydney
- Professor Tony Wong FTSE, CEO, CRC for Water Sensitive Cities
- Dr Elizabeth Woods OAM FTSE, Deputy Director-General, Agriculture
- Professor Xinhua Wu FTSE, Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for Design in Light Metals
- Adjunct Professor Jimmy Yun FTSE, Founding Director and CEO, HG Energy & Envirotech
- Professor Dennis Liotta FTSE, Executive Director, Emory Institute for Drug Development (Foreign Fellow)
US scientists have found that the brains of those who are born blind make new connections in the...
German researchers have discovered what they believe to be the underlying cause of...
Researchers have confirmed that the evolution of bipedalism in fossil humans can be detected...