Nominations for Fresh Science 2019 now open
Early-career researchers with interesting discoveries to share are invited to nominate for Fresh Science — a national competition that helps researchers find the key, compelling ‘story’ in their work and then puts them in the spotlight, showcasing them to the public and the media.
The program takes up-and-coming researchers with no media experience and turns them into spokespeople for science, giving them a taste of life in the limelight, with a day of media training and a public event in their home state. Fresh Science 2019 will run in Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Victoria, the ACT and NSW.
The competition organisers are looking for:
- early-career researchers who have completed their PhD (if they have one) no more than five years ago;
- researchers currently working in Australia and preferably for work done in Australia;
- research which has produced peer-reviewed results;
- research which is currently being undertaken or has been published/concluded since January 2018;
- research that is newsworthy but has not had significant media coverage; and
- researchers who can demonstrate, through the nomination form, some ability to present their work to a lay audience in a clear, interesting and informative way.
If selected, successful applicants will take part in:
- a one-day media and communication training course where they will meet and chat with journalists from TV, newspaper and radio;
- a one-day professional development program where they will meet people from business and government; learn how to pitch and make a pitch; and write a short profile and some social media posts with the guidance of two professional science communicators;
- an evening event at a local pub, to practise presenting their results in an understandable and fun way; and
- schools forums in some states, where they will present for five minutes and take questions.
Nominations close at midnight on 9 August.
ISO 22367 specifies a process for a medical laboratory to identify and manage the risk to...
Research Excellence Awards are awarded each year to top-ranked researchers and teams following...
Thermo Fisher Scientific has proposed to acquire QIAGEN and appointed Paul G Parker as Senior...