University funding cuts to be re-examined
Higher Education Minister Kim Carr reportedly plans to re-evaluate the controversial university funding budget cuts implemented by the Gillard government when Craig Emerson was higher education minister.
According to the Guardian Australian, Carr said he would “re-examine controversial cuts to university funding, with savings possibly found by capping the number of undergraduate students able to study”.
Professor Ian Young, chancellor of Australian National University, announced the decision to reduce professional staff numbers by 230 earlier this week. The cuts include a voluntary early retirement scheme, a major overhaul of administration, increased parking fees, a student recruitment drive and energy savings.
Professor Young said it was part of the university’s response to the federal government reducing university funding due to Gonski reforms on school funding announced in December last year.
Australian universities have been fighting to reverse the budget cuts to higher education, which remove $2.3 billion to fund school reforms.
Carr plans to meet with university vice-chancellors to discuss proposals on better ways to spend the available resources.
The University of Sydney formalises cervical cancer elimination partnership
The success of a cervical cancer elimination program has led to the signing of a memorandum of...
Noxopharm says paper reveals science behind its immune system platform
Clinical-stage Australian biotech company Noxopharm Limited says a Nature Immunology...
Neurosensing/neurostimulation implants session to be held on Monday
On Monday, a session at UNSW Sydney will include people who are benefiting from bioelectronics...
